Sunday, September 16, 2012

Knobby Jewelry Organizer

I may have mentioned this before but my husband is a carpenter, he owns his own business (insert shameless plug here: Carpentry Plus). Last year he remodeled a kitchen for a family. After some convincing, he (or his helper) retrieved a few items from the dumpster for me to re-purpose. I wish I could have seen this kitchen before the remodel. 
I can't decide if the kitchen was cute based on the color or an old DIY project gone bad. This is just a drawer front in a lovely blue-tealy color with cute little white ceramic (I think) knobs. I think the drawer and the front were separated in the dumpster tossing. Seeing the front alone with the cute knobs gave me the idea to turn this into a jewelry organizer for my necklaces. 
To begin I cleaned the whole piece up because it was gross dirty. Then I removed the knobs, see how gross dirty they were:
Yuck!!! I soaked these little guys in vinegar overnight before I could touch them again and clean them up. No worries though the gunk came right off. I decided 4 knobs wouldn't be enough so I stole knobs from the other rescued drawers. 
That's the drawer I stole from, I only added this pic because I thought it looked like the drawer is looking at you. 
Ok, so after all the cleaning then I borrowed hubby's sander again since it worked so well for me on the Photo Door. I think I am getting lucky with projects turning out so well after just some sanding. I really like that look though and it just made the tealy color so pretty. After I sanded it down, hubby let me borrow his drill (I NEED my own tools, don't ya think?). I added more holes for the extra knobs. Look at me go:
I like the look of the knobs that they show the screw heads. Of course I had to make sure the slot in every screw head was lined up perfectly. So here's the finished Knobby Jewelry Organizer
What do you think? I have more jewelry so I think I might use the other rescued drawers for more storage. hmmm.
Have a great week my Sweets
-Tracy

I will be linking up to these fabulous linky parties ;)


UndertheTableandDreaming

mop it up mondays feature


Photobucket
Home Stories A2Z
Gettin' Krafty With It
The DIY Dreamer
Photobucket The Shabby Nest

8 comments:

  1. Great job, I love it! You are right the sanding makes the teal look great.

    Tara

    http://tarabelle-adropofink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so so so cute! I want one!

    I'm hosting my first linky party - would love for you to join in:

    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/09/weekend-warmth.html

    Thanks,
    Bobi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love that it came from rescued parts (even the Cool Whip container you soaked it in - I totally do that too). And it does look like the drawer is looking at you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and creative idea. Can't wait to assemble mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT Tracy!! Very very pretty!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love repurposed projects like this! It is so cute with your jewelry hanging on it! Now I need to go find some old knobs! :) Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Gettin' Krafty last week! Can't wait to see what you've got this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sanded down color! It looks so pretty.

    gail

    ReplyDelete